Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wildfire Season Here Again-Be Safe

We have had wildfires burning since Friday southwest of here, some in our county, some in adjacent counties as well as all over the state.  At one time, there were two separate fires in Jack County and three more in Young County.  The two here combined into one and the three in Young County combined into one.  Ours is contained and the other is still burning, causing evacuations of whole towns as it marches on in its insatiable desire for fuel. 

Lots of homes, livestock and land have been destroyed and it isn't controlled yet.  Today is Wednesday....five days later.  The wind has turned completely around four times.  One fireman was killed over in Eastland County, probably struck down by a vehicle in the smoke.  Firemen from all over the country have come into our area to help fight these monsters.  They are all worn out, I'm sure.  It has literally been hell on earth in our part of the state.

We went through this a couple of years ago when the Easter Fires were burning three-fourths of the county.

The people, as usual, have turned out in great numbers to do what they can to help their fellow man.  Prayers have been going up for days, constantly.  Prayer chains have been started.  Facebook is lit up with them and most people are trying to find out how else they can help.  My sister called from Ft. Worth yesterday to find out where and how she and her friends can help.

I guess most people don't think about being caught in a wildfire situation until it comes close to them.  I know I didn't think much about it.  We've been in the path of three or four fires over the past years. 

The first one was across the road, literally, but was put out before it got too much out of control.  Another was just south of us when an electric line sparked in the wind.  It was put out quickly, too.  A bad one was stopped just before it crossed a road a couple of miles south of us.  Another burned along our back fence line.  I wrote about that one in Firefighters and the People of Jack County.  We had a couple more since then come within a few miles of us (one a couple of pastures over!)

The first bad one caught me totally unprepared.  I couldn't even think straight, if at all.  I just stopped.  Fortunately, it was kept away.

Not being able to think really shocked me.  I am usually a rock in emergencies.  I may fall apart later, but in a pinch, I do pretty well.  I learn from my setbacks, though and 3 fires later, I now have a plan, a priority list and a bit of calmness when the news hits.  I still pace around the yard going from the back where the smoke usually is coming from to the front where I can watch my flag to tell what direction the wind is blowing.  I am now constantly thinking and moving and preparing for the worst.

I have come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to save all of the living things in my care, but if I have time, I have a plan.  I may not be able to take all of my pictures with me, but if I have time, I have a plan.  I may lose all of my business records, but if I have time I have a plan.  If I don't have time, God has a plan.

Keep everyone involved in these fires, in your prayers.  If you want to help, all of the fire departments in the affected counties will need funds for fuel, so make a donation.  Find your local radio or newspaper office, television station and call them to find out where you can donate supplies and what is needed.  You might be surprised by the need.  Evacuees will need bedding, clothes, food...  Firefighters will need chapstick, Wet Ones, individually wrapped snacks....  Volunteers may be needed to help coordinate evacuees and firefighters as they rotate through rest periods. 

Don't call the dispatchers...they're busy.  I have found that you can get more information off of Facebook than anywhere.  In the latest round of fires, 3 newspapers in the adjacent counties, have been posting everything...information about the fires, where to donate, what to donate, where volunteers are needed, etc.  There are websites with scanner channels like Jack County Fire Radio and a satellite map showing where the fires are.  The Texas Forest Service will keep you up to date on what has been happening, but not as it happens.

With the chances for wildfires high for the next couple of months, be watchful, have a plan and stay safe. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment